Petersfield Hustings took place on Sunday 25th & Monday 26th April 2021
Did you miss the Petersfield Hustings? Fear not. You can catch up, view the recordings and read all the answers which candidates gave to local residents’ questions.
The Hustings Team hopes that the questions and answers will all help inform voters of the views of the Petersfield candidates, before casting their postal ballots – or voting in person.
There have been two zoom-based Petersfield Hustings:
- Sunday 25th April at 7:30pm, for the May 6th County Council Elections and
- Monday 26th April at 7:30pm, for the May 6th City Council Elections
For full information on the four elections in the fifth month on the sixth day see Elections 4-5-6…
The government has confirmed that all EU citizens who are registered to vote in the UK will be able to vote and stand for election at these polls. For further details see Elections in 2021 on the Cambridge City Council website here.
All Petersfield candidates were sent these six questions:
- Please provide a 200-word maximum personal statement on why you are standing in these City Council elections plus a photo.
- In which part of Cambridge do you live?
- Whether or not you are resident here, please briefly describe your connection(s) with Petersfield.
- What are the three issues most needing Council attention in Petersfield?
- What are your own three practical goals for serving Petersfield, if elected?
- Local government is about service delivery; if elected, on which issue(s) would you most prefer to co-operate with Councillors of other Parties?
Answers were received from three of the four County candidates and from 10 of 12 City Candidates. You can read the candidates’ responses here.
Those who live, work, volunteer or study in Petersfield were invited to submit questions for the Hustings – a stunning total of 73 questions were received, both via email and via Chat during the Hustings.
Similar questions on important topics of key local interest were amalgamated to generate five questions posed to participants at the County Hustings and four questions posed to participants at the City Hustings.
Then hustings were attended by 150+ participants, from both within Cambridge and beyond (see ‘locations of participants’ listed on the recordings page).
The 25 ‘extra’ County Questions & 16 ‘extra’ City Questions from the Petersfield Community have been sent to all Candidates for each election – including those candidates who did not take part in the live events – candidates have been encouraged to also respond to as many as they wish, for uploading to our website. Responses to the ‘extra’ questions received by midnight on May 5th 2021 will be uploaded. Read the responses here.
The Petersfield Hustings website provides:
- Links to recordings of both live Hustings which received 50+ views within one day of the Hustings.
- Photos received from Candidates
- Answers received from Candidates to our 6 introductory questions
- Details of questions submitted for the live Hustings
- Hustings questions (including any that don’t fit into Hustings time)
- Answers from the candidates to these extra questions
- Info on what a Hustings is
- Details on where Petersfield lies (not simple!)
Not sure if you live in Petersfield? It’s complicated. The Petersfield County Division and the City Council Ward are not coterminous. They are mainly the same, but differ around the edges. The map shown here originally, was for the City Council (only) up to the date of the election. This has since been corrected with the two maps below.
In order to generate the map, you will need to select the My Maps tab, then open the ‘Council and Democracy’ menu in the sidebar.
Questions for the County Hustings focussed on these public services:
- adoption & fostering
- care for the vulnerable & elderly
- policing matters
- parking issues
- pavements & potholes
- roads and traffic management
- large-scale strategic planning
- street lighting
Questions for the City Hustings focussed on these public services:
- City centre & Market Square
- community centres/events
- graffiti & litter
- homelessness & housing
- parks & open spaces
- local planning
- public toilets
- tree services
The Petersfield Hustings were supported by:
- AARA (Ainsworth Area Residents Association)
- FoSMP (Friends of St Matthew’s Piece)
- GNRA (Great Northern Road Residents Association)
- Gwydir Street Friends
- PACT (Petersfield Area Community Trust)
And arranged by:
- Piete Brooks (Hustings Technical Host)
- Valerie Neal (Hustings Co-Host)
- Helen Weinstein (Hustings Chair)
To all involved in Petersfield Hustings, Would just like to say, for the record, how brilliant the 2 ‘husting’ evenings have been and how illuminating I personally have found them. Have really made me think hard, as a ‘floating’ voter, and I am so grateful for all the efforts of all involved. Long may they continue into the future! Now I have a real dilemma to sort out before the 6th May! ….Very best wishes to you allSue Cox (Trustee, Petersfield Area Community Trust)
Huge thanks for organising the hustings. A really helpful event…. Very grateful to you for your hard work.Chair of a Petersfield Residents Association
Congratulations….I thought it all went very well and your entire team performed flawlessly. Altogether a success.Vice Chair of another Petersfield Residents Association
Thanks for a really well organised event. I’m looking forward to tomorrow evening too.Petersfield resident
Excellent question!!Petersfield resident, in Chatstream during Live City Hustings
Excellent set of questions chosen.Petersfield resident, in Chatstream during Live City Hustings
What you have put on is really important for local democracyCity Council candidate
Thank you for (co-)organising the Hustings and for all the flexibilities around the participation. This is a great initiative!City Council candidate
Thanks, for creating this site and uploading all information! It looks really professional and it is a real model for local democracy.City Council candidate
Thank you for everything. It is perfect.County Council candidate
Thank you for this comprehensive summary of the hustings. It looks as if it will be a fantastic event.Campaign Organiser for one of the Cambridge parties